Anna acts for both Claimants and Defendants in most personal injury matters. Anna’s mainstream personal injury practice is centred around higher value claims and she is particularly experienced in dealing with claims where the Claimant has developed CRPS. A large proportion of her practice involves defending fraudulent personal injury claims, both in Casualty and Motor.
She has been recommended in the legal directories as being “very sharp” and “an excellent advocate.”
Anna has a wealth of experience in EL, PL and RTA claims. She is favoured by both Claimants and Defendants for her budgeting experience and ability to deliver a successful outcome at CCMCs.
Anna lives in the West Country and her practice is nationwide.
Anna’s areas of expertise are principally:
- Catastrophic injuries (with emphasis on amputation
- Psychiatric and chronic pain cases
- Fraudulent and exaggerated claims
- Employers’ liability issues.
- Motor insurance issues.
- Fatal accidents.
- Public liability claims.
Examples of recent/ongoing cases include:
- Representing a Claimant who lost his little and ring fingers in a machine saw. Claim settled for £785,000 at JSM (against QC) with significant allowance for an i-limb
- Representing an elderly Claimant who sustained an above knee amputation and lost capacity after being run over by a bus, where the claim settled with a lump sum award and an award of periodical payments being made
- Representing a Motor Insurer at a JSM following a multi vehicle accident on the Isle of Sheppey
- Representing an employer whose employee had fallen and sustained significant injury in a car park not occupied by them
- Representing the MOD in a high value claim brought by a member of the armed forces following an accident on a Naval base
- Representing a Claimant with CRPS where the claim ultimately settled (post JSM against QC) for more than £1.5 million
Anna acts for Insurers in all aspects of fraud related to personal injury claims. She is preferred Counsel for one major Insurer in all their Casualty claims. Anna deals with:
- Exaggerated injury claims
- Phantom passenger claims
- Staged and semi-staged accidents
- Ringed fraud
- Holiday sickness
Examples of cases include:
- Acting for an Insurer in a fraudulent Casualty claim where the digital images of the accident locus were taken hours before the accident. Successfully obtained an FD finding following Claimant’s discontinuance
- Acting for several Insurers in suspected linked fraudulent claims arising out of trip accidents in a particular area of the country
- Acting for an Insurer in an RTA suspected never to have occurred. C discontinued part way through the trial following cross examination
- Acting for an Insurer in a fraudulent claim brought following a staged bus accident.
- Acting for a well known travel company in a holiday sickness claim where the Claimant discontinued at the door of court
Anna has experience of a broad range of inquests. She regularly appears in Article 2 inquests and those inquests with and without a jury. She recently acted in an inquest where the other IPs were represented by Queens Counsel.
Examples of cases include:
- Representing the Probation Service in an inquest following the drug related death of an individual in a hostel
- Representing the Prison service in (amongst others) numerous self inflicted deaths where there were issues over prevention and the adequacy of the care (and medical care) provided. These included the death of an individual on a 24 hour ‘suicide watch’
- Representing the family following the death of a farm hand who was run over by a faulty tractor (and where the Jury returned unlawful killing)
- Representing Insurers in inquests following road traffic accidents
- Representing care homes in inquests following falls and also where there were issues over the adequacy of medical treatment provided.
- Representing a university in an inquest following a student falling out of a window
- Representing the MoD following the death of a serviceman on a Naval base
- Representing the family in an inquest concerning the death of an Engineer who fell from an unguarded edge whilst carrying out an inspection.
Anna deals with cases involving the hierarchy of Motor Insurers.
Anna is regularly instructed in CCMCs on behalf of both Claimants and Defendants. She is also experienced in appearing at detailed assessments.
Appointed Junior Counsel to the Crown, Attorney General’s Provincial Panel of Counsel (2007 – 2018).
Chambers and Partners recommend Anna for her Motor Insurance Fraud practice. “Adept at handling matters involving fraud, including phantom passenger, as well as staged or fictional accident claims. She additionally demonstrates considerable expertise in fundamental dishonesty matters. Symington assists both claimants and defendants.”
“She is very quick to get to the point and shows great attention to detail. Her advice is always straightforward.”