Because of ongoing COVID restrictions, we have taken the regrettable decision to postpone the additional mini-pupillage session planned for 14th – 16th October 2020. We hope to be able to run this session in the New Year. Details will follow on the website when we are abe to offer greater clarity.
If you have applied for the October mini-pupillage session, or had applied for either of the April or July sessions, you should have received an invitation to the 12KBW Virtual Mini-Pupillage Presentation on 14th October 2020 at 6pm. If you have not received an invitation and wish to attend, please contact the mini-pupillage secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are also accepting applications for December 2020 and April 2021. We will review the position surrounding in-person mini-pupillages again in early November.
12KBW welcomes applications for the 12 mini-pupillages we offer a year. Four candidates at a time are offered a three-day mini-pupillage for one of the three sessions held throughout the year during university holidays (see below for 2020 dates).
During those three days you can expect to attend court with one of our barristers, meet our tenants and current pupils over lunch and ask any questions that you may have about a career at the Bar.
Please note the following:
- Only those who have commenced or already completed a full-time higher or further education course are eligible to apply.
- Students undertaking a law or a non-law degree are encouraged to apply.
- We consider that those in either their final year of a law degree, or on the law conversion course would benefit most from a mini-pupillage.
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer any work experience scheme or mini-pupillages for children currently at secondary school.
- Mini-pupillages at 12KBW are not formally assessed.
- Our criteria for selecting mini-pupils is the same as for selecting pupils, namely academic achievements, non-academic achievements and evidence of motivation and initiative. 12KBW is committed to equal opportunities.
- The deadline for submitting an application is three months before the start of the mini-pupillage session applied for. Please be aware that your application will be deemed to have been made for the next available mini-pupillage session, and for that session only, unless you clearly state a later session.
How to apply
Applications should only be made by way of the online application form.
Please note that applications made by alternative methods will only be considered in exceptional circumstances and those applicants should set out in their applications why their application has not been made using the standard application form.
Demand for mini-pupillages at 12KBW is high and we regret that we are unable to acknowledge individual applications as they arrive. We will therefore only respond to successful candidates. Successful candidates should expect notification approximately six weeks before the start of the relevant mini-pupillage session.
2020 mini-pupillage session dates
Wednesday 14th – Friday 16th October (Proposed additional session dependent on COVID restrictions)
Wednesday 2nd – Friday 4th December 2020
2021 mini-pupillage session dates
Wednesday 7th – Friday 9th April 2021
Wednesday 7th – Friday 9th July 2021
Wednesday 1st – Friday 3rd December 2021
Mini-pupillages at 12KBW are unpaid, but Chambers will reimburse reasonable travel and accommodation expenses incurred as a result of attending a mini-pupillage in Chambers, up to a maximum of £250 per session.
Bar Placement Scheme
In addition, 12KBW is a proud participant in the Bar Council’s Bar Placement Scheme in conjunction with the Social Mobility Foundation. The scheme allows participating students to spend a week experiencing life at the Bar. For more information click the button below: