12KBW welcomes applications for the 12 mini-pupillages we offer a year. Four candidates at a time are offered a three-day mini-pupillage for one of the three sessions held throughout the year during university holidays (see below for 2018 and 2019 dates).
During those three days you can expect to attend court with one of our barristers, meet our tenants and current pupils over lunch and ask any questions that you may have about a career at the Bar.
Please note the following:
- Only those who have commenced or already completed a full-time higher or further education course are eligible to apply.
- Students undertaking a law or a non-law degree are encouraged to apply.
- We consider that those in either their final year of a law degree, or on the law conversion course would benefit most from a mini-pupillage.
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer any work experience scheme or mini-pupillages for children currently at secondary school.
- Mini-pupillages at 12KBW are not formally assessed.
- Our criteria for selecting mini-pupils is the same as for selecting pupils, namely academic achievements, non-academic achievements and evidence of motivation and initiative. 12KBW is committed to equal opportunities.
- The deadline for submitting an application is three months before the start of the mini-pupillage session applied for. Please be aware that your application will be deemed to have been made for the next available mini-pupillage session, and for that session only, unless you clearly state a later session.
How to apply
Applications should only be made by way of the online application form.
Please note that applications made by alternative methods will only be considered in exceptional circumstances and those applicants should set out in their applications why their application has not been made using the standard application form.
Demand for mini-pupillages at 12KBW is high and we regret that we are unable to acknowledge individual applications as they arrive. We will therefore only respond to successful candidates. Successful candidates should expect notification approximately six weeks before the start of the relevant mini-pupillage session.
2018 / 2019 mini-pupillage session dates
Wednesday 5th – Friday 7th December 2018
Wednesday 10th – Friday 12th April 2019
Wednesday 3th – Friday 5th July 2019
Wednesday 4th – Friday 6th December 2019
In addition, 12KBW is a proud participant in the Bar Council’s Bar Placement Scheme in conjunction with the Social Mobility Foundation. The scheme allows participating students to spend a week experiencing life at the Bar. For more information click the button below: